Please Tell Us Your City

location icon
    location iconClose
      Sorry!! No Matching Results found. Try Again.

      Manufacturers want 18 per cent GST slab for hybrids

      CarTrade Editorial Team

      CarTrade Editorial Team

      Hybrid cars have been classified along with luxury cars and SUVs, attracting 28 per cent GST and an additional 15 per cent cess, which is a total of 43 per cent. With the jump in emission norms from BS-IV to BS-VI, carmakers expected reprieve for hybrids which were expected to become mainstream with the new norms.

      Toyota Prius Hybrid
      Toyota Prius Hybrid

      Hybrid cars earlier used to attract a total of about 30 per cent duties inclusive of the excise, VAT and other taxes. While poser hybrids like Maruti’s SHVS and Mahindra’s Intelli-hybrid had to be purged, the Society of Indian Manufacturers (SIAM) expected the real Hybrids like the Toyota Camry or the Honda Accord would still be allowed to reap the tax benefits and have proposed the 18 per cent slab instead of the 28 per cent.

      Incidentally, as of now, there are only a handful of true hybrids running in India and the cheapest of the lot, the Toyota Camry, is priced over Rs 30 lakh, ex-showroom Delhi. This is by no means a budget offering which, in a way, scores a goal for SIAM’s argument of affordable technology and environment concerns. Unless true-blue hybrid cars are offered in the Rs 7 lakh to Rs 15 lakh range, the range that contributes to almost half of the automotive sales in India, the added tax burden is inconsequential in the larger scheme of things.

      Car makers and SIAM have been repeatedly reminding the government of its promise for minimal change in tax incidence when migrating to GST. The government on the other hand is keen on pushing for fully electric vehicles, wanting to leapfrog the hybrid era like they did with the emission standards by skipping BS-V altogether. After initial resistance, car makers have now agreed to work towards the 2020 deadline. And it seems that if the government holds firm, the car makers might very well comply with this ruling.