Premium compact SUV VW Tiguan could be seen in India by 2014
German manufacturer Volkswagen (VW) had unveiled the concept of its compact Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV), the Tiguan, at the Sao Paulo Motor Show. This vehicle has recently been seen undergoing testing in India. One could expect the SUV to be available in India and other Asian countries, but the exact time of launch is not known. However, industry experts believe that this launch could take place in 2014.
For Indians, the Tiguan would make a lot of sense, as the premium compact SUV market is growing. In this segment, the Tiguan is likely to compete against the likes of Skoda Yeti and the Honda CR-V. While viewing the test mule, a 2.0 TDI badging was seen on the vehicle. Industry experts believe that such an engine would be suitable for driving on Indian roads.
Design on the Tiguan is characteristically that of normal Volkswagen vehicles. It will feature proportional styling all around with short overhangs. The look of the vehicle will be quite similar to the Volkswagen Touareg and it is also expected to feature rugged side panels. In terms of off-road credentials, the Tiguan is anticipated to be good as it will have high ground clearance. Incorporation of 17-inch alloy wheels is also on the cards of auto maker. One can expect to swallow all types of terrain with ease, just like the Skoda Yeti. LED spotlights are also expected on roof rails with LED headlamps complementing the front fascia.
From the inside, Tiguan is expected to get a fairly large boot space, which can be further expanded by folding the rear seats. The tail lights of this model are designed quite beautifully with splits between the top two-thirds and the bottom one-third. Interiors of 2014 Tiguan give the complete feeling of space and comfort expected in an SUV at this price.
However, it seems that the German company has been finding it difficult to meet price considerations in several countries. For now, vehicles such as the Up! and other similar ones are not being manufactured. There is no news about when these models would be brought back into the production. However, going by the interest in the premium compact SUV segment, customers may not have to wait for too long before seeing the Tiguan.
- Land Rover begins taking orders for the 2017 Discovery Sport in Japan
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Deca limited edition now available at Rs 5.40 lakh
- Locally made Jeep SUV to be launched in India next year
- India to get seven vehicle testing centres next year
- New Audi A4 to be launched in India on September 8
- Toyota to go ahead with India investment decision
- MY 2017 Evoque will be powered by 2.0-litre Ingenium diesel engine
- Latest-gen Toyota Prius crash tested in new test format
- New Toyota Prius India launch by year end; will not get TSS safety suite
- 2016 new Toyota Etios to be launched on September 13