“Money can’t buy happiness”. The saying seems incorrect when we see or hear of Bollywood celebrities’ gifting swanky and expensive cars to their family members, friends and co-starts to express their love. Abhishek Bacchan is famous for buying and gifting expensive cars to his family members and friends.
The actor, recently, gifted his favorite Mini Cooper to his daughter Aaradhya Bachchan on her first birthday. The Cooper is one of the most popular celebrity cars in India, which is also owned by Deepika Padukone, Diana Penty, Saif Ali Khan and others.
Mini cars in India aren’t a common sight, as the product line-up has been on sale only for last few years. The British automaker introduced the new generation of the iconic Cooper (both 3 and 5 door versions) in diesel engine option in 2014. BMW India introduced the performance-oriented Cooper S (3 door petrol) on 16th March 2015 in the country.
The Cooper, both the 3 door and 5 door versions, ae now available with a new 192bhp, 2.0-litre, twin-turbo petrol engine and a 1496cc, 114bhp diesel engine options. With sporty exterior styling and neo retro design, the car appeals at a glance. It features hexagonal grille, clamshell bonnet, floating roof, round headlights and various styling elements.
The new performance oriented model shares the UKL front-wheel platform with the regular diesel version. However, it is offered with several customization options for roof, decals, wheels and interiors. It gets a new front suspension and modified rear suspension. On the inside, the Cooper feels very plush and comfortable. It’s one of the most fun-to-drive and premium Mini cars in India.
Interesting facts about Mini Cooper
- The Cooper was owned by all four members of ‘The Beatles’. George Harrision, member of the band, had a customized ‘psychedelic Mini’ which featured in a movie called - The Magical Mystery Tour - in 1967.
- The unique styling of the Cooper made it one of the most popular celebrity cars in Hollywood. The car also pictured in famous movies such as Austin Powers and The Italian Job.
- The Cooper was voted as the second most influential car of the 20th century in 1999. Along with this, the car was also awarded as the ‘The Greatest Car of all Time” by Autocar and Motor Magazine in 1961.
- Over 1 million Minis have been sold since BMW acquired its production. The Morris Minor Mini was the first British car that sold over 1, 000, 000 automobiles in 1961.
- The Cooper S was the car of winners in the Rally held in Monte Carlo in 1964, 1965 and 1967.