Volkswagen Polo GT to scorch Indian roads from April 25
Volkswagen India, a subsidiary of German multinational auto maker Volkswagen Group, is all geared up for the launch of the new Polo 1.2 TSI model on April 25, 2013 in the domestic passenger car market. This new version of the Volkswagen Polo premium hatchback would be christened as the Polo GT.
As per reports, the Volkswagen Polo GT houses a 1.2 litre TSI petrol engine, which would be capable of producing an impressive power output of 105 bhp and torque of 175 Nm, with the help of direct injection and turbocharge technology. This engine would also be mated to a DQ200 7-speed DSG transmission, but would come without paddle shifters. It is expected that no manual transmission will be incorporated in the soon-to-be launched Polo GT model.
The body kit on Polo GT will be similar to that of the Polo SR edition, which will distinguish this vehicle from other variants. Some of the new parts would be a rear roof spoiler, chrome exhaust tip, front, side and rear skirts and 15-inch alloys. In the interiors, aluminium inserts and upgraded materials would be seen. Smoked headlamps, different upholstery and aluminium pedals will also be seen on the new vehicle.
Prior to this, the Polo Highline trim came fitted with a 1.6 litre petrol engine, but this vehicle did not manage to sell in many numbers. One of the reasons for this was the high price, as the 1.6 litre engine did not qualify for excise cuts. Accordingly, Volkswagen India wants to target this segment again with the 1.2 litre turbocharged Polo GT. However, no official word has been out regarding the pricing of the upcoming vehicle.
In the premium hatchback segment, Volkswagen Polo competes against the likes of Hyundai i20, Maruti Suzuki Swift, Ford Figo and Tata Indica Vista. The upcoming Polo GT, with a power output of 105 bhp, will be the most powerful hatchback in its class. It would set the trend for performance oriented vehicles in this category, which was ruled by the Maruti Swift so far. It will be interesting to see how the yet-to-be launched Polo GT battles it out with the Swift in the premium hatchback category.
- Chevrolet Camaro wishes its arch rival Ford Mustang on its 50th anniversary
- MINI unveils new Countryman crossover, launch expected by third quarter
- Mercedes AMG GT interiors revealed-Details Inside
- Tata Nano diesel launch plan dropped, AT variant in the making
- Mahindra expected to launch its first electric scooter in USA this year
- Honda Mobilio beats Suzuki Ertiga in Indonesia to become the second best seller
- Toyota Etios Cross saga unfolds on May 7, 2014
- Honda introduces 'Anniversary Edition' of Amaze, sells over 80,000 units in one year