Volkswagen announces new compact SUV to compete against Ford and Renault
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Volkswagen, the German automobile marque, has declared its plans to introduce a new compact Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) in the Indian auto industry, based on the Polo hatchback. With the plans of a compact SUV, it seems that the auto major was already working in the field of pitching a proper vehicle against the likes of Ford EcoSport and Renault Duster. And the need for introducing a compact SUV from Volkswagen’s end is also a must, since the auto maker is lacking in this segment with no new models to put on sale with advanced features.
With this move of the German auto giant, it appears that VW is aspiring to cash on the immense public interest and high demand rising from the compact SUV segment of Indian industry. VW's engineers have designed the upcoming vehicle in a way that it possesses the driving dynamics of a hatchback combined with the significant credentials of a SUV, which together enables it to conquer any tough terrain. Industry experts have pronounced the new vehicle to be technically much superior to the Fabia Scout. The announced new vehicle from VW is expected to have lots in common with the upcoming Volkswagen 2014 Polo.
The new compact SUV is to be built on Volkswagen's MQB (Modular Transverse Matrix) platform, which has been marked as the technology securing company's future. The coveted MQB platform is highly adaptable and the auto major has decided to incorporate the breakthrough technology in all of its segment offerings, right from the Polo hatch to the Passat sedan.
Reportedly, the compact SUV is expected to be offered in two-wheel drive and all-wheel drive (AWD) chassis, combined with the sophisticated double clutch DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox). The transmission specifications of the new VW model will ensure sheer driving pleasure and the safety of the drivers as well.
The upcoming vehicle will accompany Volkswagen's other compact SUV Tiguan (based on the PQ35 platform of the Volkswagen Golf) in its face off with the Ford Ecosport and Renault Duster in the Indian compact SUV segment. Idea of introducing a small SUV was missed somewhere in the present VW line-up and the announcement regarding launch of the same has probably pleased all the compact SUV enthusiasts of the country. It is evident that the upcoming models from VW will face some intense competition as the market currently comprises some reputed and capable models.
However, no deadlines have been revealed by the VW group regarding the launch of its upcoming compact SUV, but it is anticipated that the model will hit the Indian shores soon, considering the raising penchant of SUV aficionados towards the compact models. More revelation regarding the car's specifications is expected from the VW's end somewhere in next year. Till then, analysts believe that it will be good to keep the fingers crossed as the upcoming Volkswagen’s compact SUV model will surely be a powerhouse and segment definer too.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Volkswagen CrossPolo caught testing on Indian streets
- Pre-season tests for the Volkswagen Polo R Cup 2013 held at BIC
- Volkswagen Polo using motor sports to connect with Indian customers
- Volkswagen to develop 10-speed DSG and new engines for lower emissions
- Volkswagen Polo 1.2 GT TSI launched in India at Rs. 7.99 lakh
- Comparing the new Volkswagen Polo 1.2 GT TSI with Hyundai i20
- Volkswagen Passat to use Apollo Tyres for all variants
- Upcoming hot hatches from Fiat, Volkswagen and Toyota for India
- Volkswagen India to launch Polo GT power hatch on April 29, 2013
- Volkswagen Taigun Compact SUV could be available in India by 2016
- Mohite Automotive opens new Volkswagen dealership in North Goa
- Volkswagen India aims to increase its market share up to 7 per cent
- Volkswagen Polo GT to scorch Indian roads from April 25
- New Volkswagen Vento arrives in ‘Style’, petrol model at Rs. 8.33 lakh
- Volkswagen’s 'Think Blue. Factory’ campaign optimises CO2 emission and energy consumption at its Pune facility