TVS Motors plans to launch 200-250 cc high-performance bikes in 2014-15
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
TVS Motors has been a subject of criticism by motorcycle enthusiasts for having failed to launch brand new high-performance bikes. In recent times, the only launches made by the company in the premium sports motorcycle category are Apache RTR180 ABS, which was one year back, and the recently facelifted Apache twins, although they did not succeed in luring the customers to showrooms. The company, diverting from its previous trends, is all set to unleash new motorcycles in 2014-15 with engine capacity in the range of 200-250 cc. This is a segment in which the company does not produce motorcycles presently.
Looking at the growing demand for performance-oriented motorcycles in India, other big players in the two wheeler category, like Bajaj and Honda, have already launched a range of high-performance motorcycles. On the other hand, TVS Motors’ absence in this segment is really surprising, given that it made its presence felt with concept motorcycles at every Auto Expo held in the country.
The manufacturer has been working in collaboration with engineering firms like AVL and Ricardo for quite a while now to develop higher capacity engines. Though new motorcycles from TVS Motors are set to hit the roads, the launch is two years away, which is a long time from now. By that time, other motorcycle makers might come up with different and better technologies.
TVS has mainly focussed on the high volume commuter motorcycle space instead of high-performance motorcycle, despite the fact that it has a dedicated racing division which focusses only on coming up with new products. The failure to take any bold decision and failing to come up with high performance motorcycles has pushed TVS to the number four spot from number three position. Japanese giant Honda recently replaced it as the third largest manufacturer of motorcycles in India.
The company plans to launch high volume commuter motorcycles in the coming few months. Upcoming motorcycles lined up by the manufacturer include a 125 cc commuter motorcycle that will be available very soon, followed by a new version of the Victor by the end of the year, a brand that it is trying to resurrect. TVS is also emphasising on the automatic scooter segment and will launch a 125 cc, four stroke scooter that will join the ranks of Wego in 2012. It will launch a hybrid scooter called Qube which will be used as a test to see if this segment has any takers in the Indian market.
Therefore, it cannot be said that TVS Motors’ R&D is not working on new products, but sports bike lovers would certainly have to wait a couple of years to get their hands on a high-performance four stroke version of Shogun or Shaolin.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Ford EcoSport bookings begin in June, safety features highlighted in media
- Honda Amaze to be officially launched in Nepal during June 2013
- Fiat eyes 5 per cent market share through dealership expansion and new launches
- Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India to spread riding awareness among women
- First time Indian buyers prefer premium hatchbacks and compact sedans
- 2014 Mercedes S-Class promises to be a new name in luxury
- Skoda Fabia to be removed from Indian market this year
- Auto sector should be out of India-EU FTA, as per Maruti
- Fiat organises free vehicle check-up camps in Mumbai, Pune and Surat
- Honda announces return to FIA Formula One World Championship in 2015
- Ford EcoSport bookings to start in June 2013
- Chilean auto market receives the Maruti Suzuki Alto 800
- Pre-season tests for the Volkswagen Polo R Cup 2013 held at BIC
- Mahindra Vibe to challenge Maruti Swift and Hyundai i20 in India
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class set to take on BMW's Mini Cooper in India