Skoda Auto missions to ramp up localisation level to curtail prices of its Indian portfolio
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Skoda Auto India, the Indian unit of the Czech automaker and an entry level brand arm of the multinational conglomerate, Volkswagen Group, is strategising to cement a strong position in the Indian auto market by localising the production operations.
Major automakers in the country have resorted to localisation of the parts and components in a bid to curtail the cost of production for the car makers and cost of ownership for the buyers. Following the trajectory is Skoda Auto India, seeking to capture the mass market segment by refraining from the import duties and passing on the economy to the customers in the form of decline in the prices of its current portfolio.
Mr. Sudhir Rao, Managing Director, Skoda Auto India, was quoted as saying, “We are focusing on reducing the cost of ownership of Skoda products. We are perceived mostly as an urban brand, one focused on the premium end of the automobile market. We are also working on improving localisation levels for our vehicles, the benefits of which would be passed on to our customers. A comprehensive growth strategy to penetrate deeper into the country with our range of products would be in place by the end of the year.”
At present, the major determinants constraining the buyers in India are the high maintenance costs due to fabrication of imported components and the mediocre after sales service rendered by the Skoda authorised service centres. The company has chalked out comprehensive strategies to own a greater stake in the Indian auto market.
The company has announced an investment of Rs. 300 crore for sourcing parts locally and is gearing up to re-launch Fabia hatchback in a facelift version to give head on rivalry to its hatchback compatriots.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Skoda Fabia to be removed from Indian market this year
- Skoda and Mahindra to launch new UVs in Indian auto market
- Skoda Auto resorts to Facebook to help fans differentiate the New Octavia and Rapid
- Skoda India launches Rapid Prestige at Rs. 9 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)
- Skoda working on hatchback version of its Rapid sedan
- Skoda Auto India promotes ‘If You Drink, We Drive’ in Mumbai for responsible driving
- Skoda Rapid 100 per cent EMI offer up to April 18, 2013
- Skoda Auto reveals 2013 Superb facelift, launch expected this year
- Skoda Auto India quietly adopts new logo and visual identity
- Skoda Octavia RS to be unveiled at Goodwood Festival this July
- New deal declared on Skoda Rapid sedan
- Skoda Auto India to launch 3rd generation Octavia in October-November '13
- Buy 1 get 1 offer, free Skoda Fabia on purchase of Rapid
- Skoda Auto planning the launch of 8 new models in 2013
- Skoda Rapid: The aggressively promoted car