Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber to drive 'Wings of Life' cars at 2012 Silverstone race
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
A day ahead of British Grand Prix, which was planned for the first week of July 2012, Red Bull's drivers Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber showcased their Wings for Life cars on July 5, 2012. Both the race drivers will drive RB8s adorning over 25,000 pictures sent by their fans, all over the racing weekend. The move has been initiated by the Wings for Life charity, which is working towards developing a cure for spinal-cord injury. It invited the race fans from all around the world that wished to race with Vettel and Webber at the 2012 Silverstone race and are willing to support the noble cause.
The cause is already supported by several people globally, who are uploading their pictures and donating to Wings for Life. Red Bull Racing has raised over one million Euros, which will all be dedicated to research projects regarding spinal cord injury. Each of the continents is represented on cars, like Costa Rica, Fiji and Guadeloupe. Among the renowned faces imprinted on cars are the erstwhile F1 driver Niki Lauda and footballer Thierry Henry.
Mark Webber, racing driver, Red Bull racing, said, “The paint scheme on my car for this weekend looks awesome, the guys have done a great job. It's great that the fans can travel with me round the circuit for the whole weekend, while supporting an incredible cause - let's hope the livery gets a good result! I'm proud to be an ambassador for Wings for Life, which is doing fantastic work in its search for a cure for spinal cord injury.”
His team-mate, Sebastian Vettel, further added, “I think chances like this for the fans to be involved are great - I will have thousands of wing men and women with me on every lap of the track this weekend. The Wings for Life cause is a special one, I care a lot about the work they are doing and have been an ambassador of the charity for many years. It's great for the fans to be able to join Mark, the Team and me at this year's race in Silverstone - I'm looking forward to it.”
The Wings for Life Spinal Cord Research Foundation was established in 2004 by Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Red Bull, Dietrich Mateschitz along with the two-time Motocross World Champion, Heinz Kinigadner.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Demand for DZire outpaces Swift in April for the first time in April 2013
- General Motors India to hike prices by 1.5 per cent from first week of June
- Launch of new Land Rover Defender postponed till 2015
- Hyundai kicks off Trophy Tour for the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy in New Delhi
- Datsun to launch 5 new models in India, first will be a hatchback
- Mahindra Verito Vibe to begin new chapter for the utility vehicle maker in India
- Bajaj Auto eying the launch of new models in Discover and Pulsar series
- LPG and CNG kits to soon come with warranty
- Sahil International signs up Hrithik Roshan as the new face of Ground Zero
- Exploding car bombs in Makhachkala killed 3 and wounded over 20
- Several Shia and Sunni Muslims killed during car bombings in Iraq
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class to get 1.6 litre and 2.2 litre engines in India
- Ford India's innovative strategy to use Child Parts reduces the cost of ownership
- Harley Davidson India introduces 24x7 Road Assistance Program
- Shrinking fuel price differential boosts demand for petrol vehicles in India