Polo R race car exhibited by VW Motorsport with driver line-up
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Volkswagen Motorsport has exhibited the Petrol TSI Race Polo car for the Polo R Cup 2012. Along with that, it also announced the names of the 20 drivers who are participating in the race this season. Kari Motor Speedway, Coimbatore will play host to the first race of this season on 7th of July 2012. Some other events will be flagged off at MMRT, Chennai. Buddh International Circuit that is located in Greater Noida and recently hosted the first ever Formula One race in the country will hold the finals of this season of Polo R Cup 2012.
There are a number of changes initiated this year as compared to the previous two seasons. The Polo race model will be driven by a petrol powertrain unlike the diesel unit used during previous two editions of the tournament. Race Polo’s 1.4 litre, direct injection, 4 cylinder engine is built to churn out 189 hp of power at 6200 rpm and 250 Nm of torque at 2000-4500 rpm. This model's manual transmission kit, too, has been replaced by a direct shift gearbox. With a more robust powertrain, the powerful petrol Polo R will give ample opportunities to drivers to upgrade their skills.
In this season, there are three categories where the drivers will be segregated, namely Junior, Pro and Master categories. Those drivers who have an experience of less than 8 races at national level in the last 5 years and are aged between 16 to 26 years will race in the Junior category. Drivers in the same age bracket and having experience of more than 8 races at national level in the last five years will be grouped in the Pro category. On the other hand, Master category will include all the drivers who are above 26 years of age at the time of registration.
VW Motorsport has changed the fee structure as well this year. The Junior and Pro categories demand a fee of Rs. 7 lacs, while the fee for Master category is Rs. 14 lacs for the complete season. This year, however, the drivers can refinance their fee by making their car bonnets available for the badges of their respective sponsor brands. The prize money for the first position is Rs. 50,000, while those who come second an third will win Rs. 40,000 and Rs. 30,000 respectively.
Volkswagen Group Chief Representative India, President and Managing Director, Volkswagen India Private Limited, Dr. John Chacko, commented, "We are delighted to present the new TSI Race Polo 2012 along with the 20 promising drivers today. With the immense success of the inaugural Indian GP, India is establishing itself as a motor sport hub and we are happy to play our role in promoting the same. Volkswagen is committed to developing motor sport in India along with the young talent through our Polo R Cup program. We had an excellent season last year and we are looking forward to the upcoming season."
Likewise, Head of Motorsport, Volkswagen India, Prithviraj Siddappa, said, "After two successful seasons of Polo R Cup, we are looking forward to this year's championship with a brand new car. It is a strategic decision for us to shift from diesel to petrol as we want to offer our drivers a more powerful racing machine. Polo R Cup program has set benchmarks in Indian motor sports by being focussed on professionalism, technology and safety. It has grown stronger year on year and has cemented its place on the Indian motor sport map"
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Volkswagen CrossPolo caught testing on Indian streets
- Pre-season tests for the Volkswagen Polo R Cup 2013 held at BIC
- Volkswagen Polo using motor sports to connect with Indian customers
- Volkswagen to develop 10-speed DSG and new engines for lower emissions
- Volkswagen Polo 1.2 GT TSI launched in India at Rs. 7.99 lakh
- Comparing the new Volkswagen Polo 1.2 GT TSI with Hyundai i20
- Volkswagen Passat to use Apollo Tyres for all variants
- Upcoming hot hatches from Fiat, Volkswagen and Toyota for India
- Volkswagen India to launch Polo GT power hatch on April 29, 2013
- Volkswagen Taigun Compact SUV could be available in India by 2016
- Mohite Automotive opens new Volkswagen dealership in North Goa
- Volkswagen India aims to increase its market share up to 7 per cent
- Volkswagen Polo GT to scorch Indian roads from April 25
- New Volkswagen Vento arrives in ‘Style’, petrol model at Rs. 8.33 lakh
- Volkswagen’s 'Think Blue. Factory’ campaign optimises CO2 emission and energy consumption at its Pune facility