Olympic medallists get Audi Q5, courtesy of Haryana government with DLF
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
The state government of Haryana, in an honouring gesture, presented the four Olympic medallists an Audi Q5 compact Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV). The recipients of the model were silver medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar, bronze medallist wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt, badminton player Saina Nehwal and shooter Gagan Narang. The chief minister of Haryana, Bhupinder Singh Hooda, did the honours at State Level Civic Felicitation Function, organised on August 26, 2012 at Gohana near Sonipat.
Besides bringing glory and adulation to their home state, the Olympic medallists contributed to the mass interest, generated among the local athletes. Several individuals are coming up to felicitate the Olympic winners with real estate mogul DLF being the latest addition to the list. DLF financed the luxury cars, which are awarded to the Olympians at the special ceremony, in collaboration with the Haryana government.
The state government also did not ignore the contribution of athletes who participated in the London Olympics, world's biggest global sport event, but failed to bring in any medal. Each of the participants were presented with a Maruti Suzuki SX4 sedan.
Reportedly, Hooda also gifted Sushil Kumar a cheque of Rs. 1.5 crore with Gagan Narang and Saina Nehwal a cash award of Rs. 1 crore, among new Audi Q5 SUV and several other gifts. Sushil Kumar, the double Olympic medallist, is regarded as the state's 'Golden Boy' after winning medals at consecutive Olympics, Beijing and London. He is also credited as the reason behind the fresh new resurgence of talented athletes from the state, who took to sports after witnessing Kumar's success from his very humble beginning. Kumar's name is now taken with veneration by every person in the country.
Hooda also gifted a rare school time photograph to the shuttler Saina Nehwal, which was of the time when she studied in the campus run school of CCS Haryana Agricultural University in Hisar. Dr. K.S. Khokhar, Vice-Chancellor of the University, was reported to have been the source behind the photograph.
Earlier, Saina Nehwal had also been felicitated by the Indian cricket's most adored gem, Sachin Tendulkar when he presented Saina a brand new luxury saloon BMW 3 Series 320d. And now the new Audi Q5 SUV from the Haryana government could be an exciting addition to the player's garage.
The Olympians could be soon spotted on-road in their new Audi Q5 SUVs, as the model is considered a marvel of engineering and quality. Q5 boasts of supreme safety and comfort features with a engine that could set the pulse racing of any auto enthusiast. In India, Audi Q5 comes in a price range of Rs. 41 lacs to Rs. 47 lacs.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Auto sector should be out of India-EU FTA, as per Maruti
- Chilean auto market receives the Maruti Suzuki Alto 800
- Maruti Suzuki to roll out a new diesel LCV in India
- Maruti Suzuki to breathe new life into its Indian fleet with a new models
- Maruti Suzuki to introduce YL1 hatch and YL7 sedan in India
- Indian Army to make a switch to Mahindra Scorpio or Tata Safari from Maruti Gypsy
- Hyundai BA could challenge Maruti Suzuki Swift soon in India
- Maruti Suzuki to replace low selling cars with new ones soon
- Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Feliz special edition to launch soon
- Suzuki introduces Ertiga with automatic gearbox in Indonesia
- Maruti Suzuki reports a 3.1 per cent drop in sales for April 2013
- Swift DZire diesel records a mileage of 45.8 kmpl at DZirable Mileage Rally
- Work on Maruti Suzukiís new Gujarat facility on schedule
- Maruti Suzuki to focus on rural market to increase sales volume
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Sport caught testing in Mumbai