Nissan mulls to launch electric car Leaf in India
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Nissan India, a subsidiary of the leading Japanese auto giant Nissan Motors, is mulling over the possibility of bringing its much popular electric car Leaf in the Indian auto market. It is to be mentioned here that Nissan Leaf has been a very popular electric car in the US market, where it is giving a tough fight to the rivals like Toyota Prius and Chevrolet Volt. The company, however, is yet to decide upon the timeline of introducing Leaf model in the country.
While speaking on the matter to the Business Standard, MD and CEO at Nissan Motor India, Mr. Kiminobu Tokuyama, said, “We are studying the feasibility of introducing Leaf in the Indian market. Nissan is known for innovation. We have aggressive product launch plan in the pipeline. Through our launch we will bring innovations also.”
However, the lack of infrastructure for such electric cars in the Indian market could prove a major road block in the entry of Nissan Leaf into the Indian auto market. “We still need some more support in infrastructure. We need more government support like subsidy to the consumers as it is given in some countries,” said Mr. Tokuyama.
At present, Nissan India sells about five models in the Indian auto market including hatchback Nissan Micra, sedan Nissan Sunny, premium sedan Nissan Teana, compact luxury Sports Utility Vehicle Nissan X-Trail, and sports car Nissan 370Z.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
leaf leaf every where in india pl do. nissanJune 25, 2012 by S.k Bhandari
Nice looking Car..will post serious challenge with adequate power under the hood to other hatchbacks. Feel its time to wave good bye to toy car REVA ;)February 22, 2012 by Asif
nisan leaf is a nice car, when it will be launch in india, what will be the expected price range in indiaFebruary 19, 2012 by Mohd Meesum Rizvi
nice carFebruary 18, 2012 by Vivek Dixit
Give the price about this carFebruary 18, 2012 by Jasper
- Production at Nissan's Chennai plant unaffected by warehouse fire incident
- Nissan organises IPL Meet & Greet event for Pune Warriors India
- Nissan Micra facelift coming to India by July 2013
- Renault-Nissan Chennai warehouse destroyed in an ugly fire incident
- Nissan Micra next generation model to be made by Renault in Europe
- Nissan Motor India partners with IPL team Delhi Daredevils
- Nissanís low cost Datsun brand to enter India this July
- Toyota, Nissan and Honda struggling to sell vehicles in China
- Nissan India plans to launch facelifted Micra and Duster-based SUV in 2013
- Nissan Sunny automatic launched at Rs. 8.90 lakh
- Nissan Motor India appoints Kenichiro Yomura as the new President
- Nissan Motor India slashes EMIs by up to 40 per cent
- Nissan Sunny AT price leaked, to be launched at Rs. 8.92 lakh
- Nissan Motor India set to beef up its budget car offerings
- Bajaj-Renault Nissan quadricycle project proceeding on track