Nissan Motor mulling over a new manufacturing plant to bring Datsun in India
Nissan Motor India Private Limited (NMIPL), a completely owned subsidiary of Japanese multinational auto major Nissan Motor Co., is mulling over the possibility of a new vehicle manufacturing unit in the country. The company is looking at the idea of introducing new models under its low cost Datsun brand in the domestic passenger car market. At present, the Japanese auto major is considering Chennai as a possible destination for its upcoming production facility on Indian turf.
Speaking his mind on the company's new production plant, Takayuki Ishida, Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Nissan Motor India, has been quoted as saying, “It is under study. Chennai of course is one of the candidates.” He further added, “Currently Nissan (Nissan Motor Co.) headquarters is handling it. It is not a local issue. Of course the implementation is local, but decision making is taken by headquarters.”
In February '13, it was also announced that the Franco-Japanese global strategic tie up between Renault and Nissan, is working on its second vehicle manufacturing unit on Indian soil. Both the companies will invest around $ 320 million on the new project. Further, the CEO has affirmed that capacity expansion plans of its shared Oragadam plant with Renault will begin in the next 2013-14 fiscal. Speaking on the same, Ishida added, “Currently, we have two (assembly) lines with three shifts. Next year we will look for expansion”, with another shift to be taken to increase the output.
Ishida has revealed that the company has projected to sell over 50,000 units for the ongoing 2012-13 fiscal, as compared to sales of 33,000 units recorded last year. Nissan Motor India's sales are driven mostly by their Micra premium hatchback and the Sunny mid sized sedan in the domestic market.
- 13th edition of Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm winner announced – Abhishek Mishra
- Toyota announces plans to end the production of Venza crossover
- Maruti Suzuki likely to introduce AMT in Alto 800 sometime soon
- Mahindra and Mahindra sales drop 10% last month in India
- Tata Hexa crossover concept unveiled at 2015 Geneva Motor Show
- Royal Enfield stands tall with 49 per cent sales growth in February
- A brief glimpse into Hero HX250R that is rumored to be launched this year
- Bajaj Auto showcases the upcoming Pulsar 150NS in Istanbul