Mercedes-Benz puts its bets on high-performance A-Class, plans to launch A45 AMG edition next year
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Mercedes-Benz, the German luxury automaker, is trying to reclaim the top position in the luxury car segment and this can be only done by selling volumes in the market. In order to attain the desired rank, the car maker has to target masses with practical cars at a competitive price. Owing to this, the company has revealed the images of its upcoming A-Class A45 AMG model, which is expected to be the cheapest AMG model in the company's high-performance line-up with a price tag of USD 60,000. Notably, AMG vehicles are globally known for their powerful engines and huge dimensions, while the A45 will be a hatchback subjected to the AMG treatment.
Reportedly, the A45 AMG moniker would be a nod to the 45-year-long journey of the company's AMG division. It was revealed that the car will be assimilated with a 2.0 litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine which will set new benchmarks for displacement. The maximum power generated by this engine is anticipated to be 370 bhp while its torque is expected to touch 407 Nm. This engine will be mated to an AMG speedshift DCT 7-speed sports transmission system, which features dual clutch technology. In order to ensure complete safety of the passengers of the A45 AMG, the company will also provide 3-stage Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) with 'SPORT Handling' mode, which is specially configured for track use.
Independent sports suspension, electromagnetic sports steering and AMG braking system will also be part of the deal when the manufacturer finally launches the A45. The engine of A45 AMG will function on an all-wheel-drive chassis, which will provide additional power to the car. Based in Kolleda, the MDC Power engine manufacturing unit of Mercedes-Benz will develop this powertrain. Notably, the car will also be manufactured at this plant only, thus making it the only AMG model to be developed away from the Affalterbach facility.
Ola Kallenius, Chairman, Board of Management, Mercedes-AMG GmbH, quoted that “Our goal is to build the most dynamic, most powerful and at the same time most efficient four-cylinder series production compact car. Together with other future high-performance compact cars, the new A45 AMG will embody exclusive dynamism and the "AMG Performance 50" growth strategy. With this passionate commitment to what for us is a new vehicle segment, Mercedes-AMG plans to make a significant contribution to the growth of Mercedes-Benz Cars.” It is believed that the car will be officially introduced in the global arena in first quarter of 2013 and will square off against BMW M135i and Audi RS3 Sportback.
The Indian division of Mercedes-Benz has introduced most of the models offered by the company in the international auto market and, thus, analysts anticipate that A45 AMG will also soon arrive in the country. However, since even the standard A-Class is yet to make its way to the India, buyers may have to wait a little. It is believed that the car will arrive in the domestic market as a Completely Built Unit (CBU). However, such a move will force the manufacturer to give a high price tag to the high-performance model as it will have to include heavy duties and taxes. With this car, the company will aim to entice the high earning car buyers aged between 30 and 45, a market it is yet to break into, though its rivals Audi and BMW have already consolidated their position in the segment.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Major highlights of Mercedes-Benz A-Class
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class to set new benchmarks for luxury hatchbacks
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class to get 1.6 litre and 2.2 litre engines in India
- Mercedes-Benz R-Class to be removed from Indian auto market
- Boris Becker unveils new Mercedes-Benz 2013 GL-Class
- 2014 Mercedes S-Class promises to be a new name in luxury
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class set to take on BMW's Mini Cooper in India
- Mercedes-Benz India launches GL-Class facelift at Rs. 77.5 lakh
- Mercedes-Benz GL-Class facelift to be launched in India today
- 2014 Mercedes S-Class to be a definite head turner
- Mercedes-Benz opens the doors of 'Silver Arrows', its first store in Noida
- Mercedes-Benz India to launch a new entry-level SUV
- Mercedes-Benz GL-Class facelift set for its Indian launch on May 16, 2013
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class becomes a rage in the Indian social media circuit
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class to reclaim top spot for Mercedes in India