Maruti Suzuki faces legal notice from Labour Department
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Haryana government affiliated labour department has filled a challan against Maruti Suzuki under Section-9C of the Industrial Dispute Act 1947 for the alleged 'violation of settlement' that was signed on October 19, 2011. This was in view of the company violating the agreement with its workers at Manesar plant. The five managers of Maruti Suzuki who signed the agreement on 19th October will be prosecuted for the violation of the agreement.
Deputy Labour Commissioner, Haryana labour Department, J.P. Mann, confirmed, "We have initiated prosecution proceedings against Maruti for violating the agreement with the workers' last year. They have not formed any of the two required committees - Grievance Redressal and Welfare Committee - that has forced us to take this action in the interest of the workers."
The largest car maker of the country agreed to create a statutory 'Grievance Redressal Committee' and 'Labour Welfare Committee' at its Manesar plant, which it has failed to do so till date. These two committees would have enabled the workers to share their grievances with the administration. On the other hand, a separate 'Maruti Suzuki Worker's Union' has been set up at the facility. A 59-day-long strike was staged by the employees at the Manesar plant last year, demanding a separate union and these two committees. The strike caused Rs. 2,500 crores worth of losses and loss in production by 1 lac cars for the company. It was an attempt by the employees to improve the working condition at the plant.
On being probed about the situation, Maruti confirmed receiving the formal notice from labour department. According to a company spokesperson, "As the matter is sub-judice, we feel it will be inappropriate for the company to comment."
In the agreement signed with the Labour Department, which was initiated by Haryana government, Maruti agreed to elevate its employee confidence by electing workers representative for the 'Grievance Redressal and Labour Welfare' committees. The proceedings on the hearing are expected to start in the next couple of days at the Gurgaon CJM court.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
The downfall of MARUTI UDYOG begins !June 20, 2012 by Manjunath
- Demand for DZire outpaces Swift in April for the first time in April 2013
- Auto sector should be out of India-EU FTA, as per Maruti
- Chilean auto market receives the Maruti Suzuki Alto 800
- Maruti Suzuki to roll out a new diesel LCV in India
- Maruti Suzuki to breathe new life into its Indian fleet with a new models
- Maruti Suzuki to introduce YL1 hatch and YL7 sedan in India
- Indian Army to make a switch to Mahindra Scorpio or Tata Safari from Maruti Gypsy
- Hyundai BA could challenge Maruti Suzuki Swift soon in India
- Maruti Suzuki to replace low selling cars with new ones soon
- Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Feliz special edition to launch soon
- Suzuki introduces Ertiga with automatic gearbox in Indonesia
- Maruti Suzuki reports a 3.1 per cent drop in sales for April 2013
- Swift DZire diesel records a mileage of 45.8 kmpl at DZirable Mileage Rally
- Work on Maruti Suzukiís new Gujarat facility on schedule
- Maruti Suzuki to focus on rural market to increase sales volume