Maruti Suzuki Ertiga will have rivals from Volkswagen and Fiat
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Volkswagen, the German automotive marque, may be inclined towards launching its Bulli concept Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV) in the Indian auto market due to the unanticipated surge in demand for the segment in the country. The Volkswagen Bulli concept was unveiled at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show.
Earlier this year, Maruti Suzuki, the country's largest passenger car market, hit jackpot with its Ertiga MPV, which catapulted the segment to instant fame and quickly dislodged segment leader Toyota Innova of its place.
Volkswagen currently has no product offering in MPV segment of the Indian car market and the possibility regarding the launch of a MPV in India by the company cannot be completely ruled out.
Interestingly, the sales of compact Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) Duster and Ertiga MPV baffled the industry experts. The Renault Duster recorded 15,000 bookings in just two months, while Ertiga sales exceeded 40,000 units in April this year. The booming segment is attracting lots of car makers to try their luck and a number of products dedicated at this segment are expected soon in the Indian auto market.
Fiat, the Italian auto maker, is also working on its 500XL car, which is a stretched MPV model of the Fiat 500L hatchback and will take head on the likes of Ertiga and Volkswagen Bulli (if launched by then).
German automaker Volkswagen is leaving no stone unturned in its quest to become the world’s largest car maker by 2018 and is exploring all the possibilities of rising potential markets all over the world. The Indian auto market is considered as one of the most promising in the world and has attracted a number of top global auto companies. The MPV segment is attracting a lot of Indian buyers due to the subsidised diesel fuel prices.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Auto sector should be out of India-EU FTA, as per Maruti
- Chilean auto market receives the Maruti Suzuki Alto 800
- Maruti Suzuki to roll out a new diesel LCV in India
- Maruti Suzuki to breathe new life into its Indian fleet with a new models
- Maruti Suzuki to introduce YL1 hatch and YL7 sedan in India
- Indian Army to make a switch to Mahindra Scorpio or Tata Safari from Maruti Gypsy
- Hyundai BA could challenge Maruti Suzuki Swift soon in India
- Maruti Suzuki to replace low selling cars with new ones soon
- Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Feliz special edition to launch soon
- Suzuki introduces Ertiga with automatic gearbox in Indonesia
- Maruti Suzuki reports a 3.1 per cent drop in sales for April 2013
- Swift DZire diesel records a mileage of 45.8 kmpl at DZirable Mileage Rally
- Work on Maruti Suzukiís new Gujarat facility on schedule
- Maruti Suzuki to focus on rural market to increase sales volume
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Sport caught testing in Mumbai