Mahindra developing Rs 4 lakh SUV S101 with Ssangyong
The country’s largest utility vehicle maker Mahindra & Mahindra is mulling over the option of developing a sub Rs 4 lakh Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) in the Indian market. According to the industry reports, the car maker is working with its South Korean subsidiary Ssangyong to develop a small SUV for the Indian market. The upcoming mini SUV has been codenamed as S101, and is gaining popularity as Nano of SUV’s among the floor workers of M&M.
The new mini SUV from Mahindra will be first of its kind vehicle in the Indian market. The new Mahindra mini SUV is expected to come powered by a 1-1.2 liter petrol and 1.5L diesel engine. The SUV is expected to be manufactured at the M&M's plant in Chakan on the outskirts of Pune, the same unit from where the company has recently started rolling-out its all new premium SUV – XUV 500.
With a length of less than 4 meters and a 1.2L petrol / 1.5L diesel engine, the new Mahindra S101 will be qualifying for a lesser excise duty segment of 10 percent as compared to 22 percent for the vehicles having length of over 4meteres. It will take around two years to develop the mini SUV completely. The SUV is expected to be shelved in the price segment of Rs 3 to 4 lakh. If launched in the sub Rs 4 lakh range, the new Mahindra S101 will become the cheapest priced SUV in this price segment.
- Mercedes Benz CLA45 AMG launched in India at Rs 68.5 lakh
- BMW 7 Series ActiveHybrid launching tomorrow
- Yamaha R15 - Details revealed
- Most fashionable Yamaha scooters in Indian market
- Honda CBR300R could be introduced in late 2014
- New Bajaj Discover 125 - What's new in the upgraded version?
- Mahindra XUV500 - A class apart
- Best CNG conversion kits available in India