Mahindra developing Rs 4 lakh SUV S101 with Ssangyong
The country’s largest utility vehicle maker Mahindra & Mahindra is mulling over the option of developing a sub Rs 4 lakh Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) in the Indian market. According to the industry reports, the car maker is working with its South Korean subsidiary Ssangyong to develop a small SUV for the Indian market. The upcoming mini SUV has been codenamed as S101, and is gaining popularity as Nano of SUV’s among the floor workers of M&M.
The new mini SUV from Mahindra will be first of its kind vehicle in the Indian market. The new Mahindra mini SUV is expected to come powered by a 1-1.2 liter petrol and 1.5L diesel engine. The SUV is expected to be manufactured at the M&M's plant in Chakan on the outskirts of Pune, the same unit from where the company has recently started rolling-out its all new premium SUV – XUV 500.
With a length of less than 4 meters and a 1.2L petrol / 1.5L diesel engine, the new Mahindra S101 will be qualifying for a lesser excise duty segment of 10 percent as compared to 22 percent for the vehicles having length of over 4meteres. It will take around two years to develop the mini SUV completely. The SUV is expected to be shelved in the price segment of Rs 3 to 4 lakh. If launched in the sub Rs 4 lakh range, the new Mahindra S101 will become the cheapest priced SUV in this price segment.
- Maruti Swift Sport planned for India?
- Buzz busted-Maruti Ciaz coming in mid-October
- Motorcycle Riders' Must-Have Devices
- Suzuki Inazuma Semi-faired Version spotted in Indonesia
- Mahindra Racing to concentrate on bike development only
- Hero MotoCorp to Unveil New Dewlet Scooter in September
- Bike Festival of India flags off National Safety Ride
- Bajaj Auto to Bring Forth a Revamped Platina Soon