Mahindra developing new SUV to compete against upcoming Ford EcoSport
Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M) Limited, the country's leading utility vehicle manufacturer, is developing a new compact Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) for the domestic passenger car market. The upcoming Mahindra model is anticipated to be pitched above the Quanto compact SUV and could carry price tags in the range between Rs. 8 and Rs. 10 lakhs. As per reports, the yet-to-be launched Mahindra compact SUV is codenamed as S101 and is being co-developed by the company's South Korean subsidiary SsangYong Motor Company.
The strong suits of Mahindra S101 model are going to be its small size and attractive price tag, along with basic mini-SUV genes like a high ground clearance and sturdy exterior build. The company will be looking to take on the present market leader Renault Duster and soon-to-be launched Ford EcoSport models in the Indian auto market, with its upcoming S101 compact SUV. Experts believe that the Mahindra S101 model will also help the utility vehicle maker in offering a diverse product portfolio to the domestic car enthusiasts. As per industry sources, Mahindra began work on its new mini-SUV at its Chakan-based (near Pune) manufacturing facility last year. The official launch of Mahindra S101 compact SUV is expected to be scheduled sometime in the first half of 2015 calendar year.
Coming to under-the-hood specification of Mahindra S101, the compact SUV is expected to be launched in both petrol and diesel powered options in the country. The power and torque outputs of the S101 engines are believed to be falling in the same range as those exhibited by Ford EcoSport and Renault Duster. However, it is going to be an interesting thing to see how the new Mahindra model is received by the compact SUV loving Indian consumers, which at present are enamoured with the idea of having a Duster or EcoSport in their garages.
- Mercedes Benz India registers 25 per cent growth in first six months of 2014
- Tata Motors - Revotron 1.2T engine potential revealed
- Tata Zest production begins, launch round the corner
- Indian Motorcycles set to re-launch Roadmaster in 2015
- Audi A3 launch next week, bookings open from 1st August for Rs. 3.5 Lakhs
- Festive season set for multiple two-wheeler launches
- New Bajaj Discover 150 S to be launched at booking price of INR 500
- Honda Aviator and TVS Wego: Two top scooters of Indian market