Hyundai to launch an entry-level compact sedan designed along the lines of next generation i20
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
According to the rumours, the South Korean Automotive giant, Hyundai Motor is working on an entry-level compact sedan to be built along the next generation i20 platform. The i20 hatchback has gained tremendous popularity in the country and now speculations are rife that the launch of 2012 edition i20 fluidic is around the corner. The new fluidic variant of the much-acclaimed hatchback has been spotted extensively during the road tests in the country over past few months. The new fluidic i20 is anticipated to continue the success of the existing model with class leading features, design and unmatched mileage.
Upcoming variant of i20 will feature the exclusive fluidic design, while the car maker will retain the powertrain and other mechanicals from the existing model. Meanwhile, the car maker is also in the process of developing an all-new next generation of the i20, which is not the i20 Fluidic, but a completely revamped model with new engine.
According to the editor of AutoCar India, Hormazd Sorabjee, this compact sedan will square off against the likes of Toyota Etios and Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire. Even though the South Korean automotive giant has Accent sedan in its portfolio, the model is severely underrated as it only comes in petrol guise. This is a major setback, considering that the newer model being launched in the market is coming with options of both petrol and diesel engines. This fact is one of the major drives behind the concept of developing a new compact sedan, which will serve as an entry-level model for the car maker. It is believed that the Hyundai will place its new model under Verna sedan.
Being a compact sedan, the car will measure below 4 metres, thus, will be positioned in the small car category, enabling the auto major to reap benefits from the excise duty. However, there is no further information available regarding the specifications of the new model. Since the car will be coming as an option to hedge the competition posed by the new launches, it is anticipated that it will come in both petrol and diesel versions. If indeed the new i20 based compact sedan materialise, the car lovers in the country are in for a real treat.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
I was confused about the i20 fluidic and the next generation i20..Thanks cartrade for clarifying that both are completely different models..August 09, 2012 by Ravi
- Mahindra Vibe to challenge Maruti Swift and Hyundai i20 in India
- Hyundai looking to get more aggressive in the Indian auto market
- Hyundai compact SUV to arrive at Indian shores in 2014
- Hyundai BA could challenge Maruti Suzuki Swift soon in India
- Hyundai Motor India to introduce four new models over the next 2 years
- Hyundai Motor India registers 4.3 per cent rise in total sales in April 2013
- Comparing the new Volkswagen Polo 1.2 GT TSI with Hyundai i20
- Hyundai pursues aggressive expansion plans for the Indian UV market
- Hyundai’s i20-based HB20S could stir new row in the entry level sedan market
- Hyundai Motor India effectuates top management elevation
- Honda’ new model to take on Maruti Alto and Hyundai Eon
- Hyundai total sales down 4.71 per cent in March, exports up by 12.3 per cent
- Price hikes implemented by Hyundai Motor India Limited from April 1
- Hyundai set to introduce new compact SUV and MPV models in India soon
- Discounts galore by Hyundai, Maruti Suzuki, Tata and Volkswagen