Honda all set to introduce a vehicle against the likes of Nano and Alto
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Honda Motor Company, the Japanese multinational automotive corporation, is planning to launch a new model in the small car segment of India. The new offering from Honda is anticipated to square off against Tata’s well-established Nano and Maruti Suzuki’s bestseller Alto. With a retro look, the car is expected to have a length of 133 inches and 58 inches of width.
It is believed that the new car will hold a 660 cc VTEC four-cylinder engine, which will churn out a maximum power of 64 bhp. Since the yet-to-be launched model has compact dimensions and limited output, the Japanese auto maker is believed to capture a remarkable share in the India market. Moreover, the inclination of Indian buyers towards small cars is expected to help the company in the same.
Upcoming model will be based on the Honda N600, which was launched in the global arena in 1969. Even at that time, buyers appreciated the all-alloy engine and considered it as a technologically advanced vehicle. The model had the potential to generate maximum power of 36 to 45 bhp at 9,000 rpm. Honda N600 clocked a top speed at 129.6 kmph, which was quite impressive for that time. The vehicle had a lightweight construction, weighing around 550 kg. Production of N600 was stopped in the year 1972 following the launch of Honda Z600, which was sportier than the former.
Honda showcased a same concept, N Concept 4, in November 2011 at the Tokyo Motor Show. The Japanese auto maker is planning to launch the car in Japan before the end of next year and will thereafter, introduce it in India somewhere in 2014.
Following the league, the largest car maker of the country, Maruti Suzuki is also working on the development of a small variant of Alto, the new Alto 800, whose images were unveiled in June 2012. Analysts believe that the car makers understand that Indian buyers prefer small cars and thus, most of them are working on launching the same.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
except in @shamzahm except in every way haha. dude, im not that big of a pocrhse fan, but that looks more like a jumbo smart car (ironic, yes) rather than a sleek low sports car (driven by midlife crisis men)August 03, 2012 by Muh
- Tata Nano diesel to be the smallest diesel hatch on sale
- Tata Indica Vista D90 officially launched in Nepal
- Nano: Art In Motion ties up with 'Fukrey' for an interesting contest
- Tata reports a 7 per cent decline in global sales in April 2013
- Add-ons for motor insurance contributed by Mr. Ramesh Ramani, Sr. Vice President – Consumer Lines, Tata AIG General Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Tata Motors looking at producing XO hatchback at Sanand alongside Nano
- Indian Army to make a switch to Mahindra Scorpio or Tata Safari from Maruti Gypsy
- Tata Nano sales drop by 88 per cent in April 2013
- Tata Motors VP leaves company after seven-and-a-half month stint
- Tata Motors reports 14.8 per cent drop in total sales for April 2013
- Safari Storme entices off-road junkies at the Tata Motors Xtreme Drive event in Mumbai
- 2013 Tata Nano spotted during shoot of ad-film in Mumbai
- Tata wants you to compare Manza with Amaze
- Tata Motors’s Xtreme Drive kicks off in Mumbai on April 26, 2013
- Tata Motors chides Bajaj Auto’s plans of RE60 quadricycle in India