Growth reported in passenger car and two-wheeler segment
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Triggered by the low base during the last year and the new launches in the country, the passenger vehicle segment in the country grew by 10.7 per cent during June 2012. According to the Crisil Research firm, the sales volume of the Commercial Vehicles (CV) reported a lukewarm growth if 4.7 per cent during the period and 6 per cent in the Q1 of current fiscal against the 18 per cent growth recorded in fiscal 2012.
Director, Crisil Research, Ajay Srinivasan, quoted, "Labour strikes and consequent production loss at the largest player- Maruti Suzuki India Ltd (MSIL) had led to lower production during June 2011. Domestic car sales grew by 8.3 per cent during June 2012 with MSIL posting a growth of 23.1 per cent during the month. In contrast to car sales, utility vehicle sales (including vans) grew at a healthy 18.5 per cent mainly led by major new models launches.”
He further stated that the motorcycle segment too witnessed a low sales volume with a growth of 6.6 per cent over last year. On the other hand, Scooters marked a healthy surge of 22.9 per cent compared to the same period last year due to the increment in supply. The two-wheeler segment of the country expanded by 10.5 per cent in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 when compared against the 17 per cent hike recorded in the same period of fiscal 2012. According to the reports, the trend of moderate sales will remain through the remaining period of current fiscal. According to the firm, the growth for the FY 2013 will grow by 10-12 per cent compared to the corresponding figures of 14 per cent in financial year 2012.
Scooter segment is expected to continue their success story with an expected growth of 15-17 per cent, which can be credited mainly to the increase in supply. At the same time, the sales of motorcycle are expected to expand by 10 per cent, which is quite low for the segment.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Auto sector should be out of India-EU FTA, as per Maruti
- Chilean auto market receives the Maruti Suzuki Alto 800
- Maruti Suzuki to roll out a new diesel LCV in India
- Maruti Suzuki to breathe new life into its Indian fleet with a new models
- Maruti Suzuki to introduce YL1 hatch and YL7 sedan in India
- Indian Army to make a switch to Mahindra Scorpio or Tata Safari from Maruti Gypsy
- Hyundai BA could challenge Maruti Suzuki Swift soon in India
- Maruti Suzuki to replace low selling cars with new ones soon
- Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Feliz special edition to launch soon
- Suzuki introduces Ertiga with automatic gearbox in Indonesia
- Maruti Suzuki reports a 3.1 per cent drop in sales for April 2013
- Swift DZire diesel records a mileage of 45.8 kmpl at DZirable Mileage Rally
- Work on Maruti Suzukiís new Gujarat facility on schedule
- Maruti Suzuki to focus on rural market to increase sales volume
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Sport caught testing in Mumbai