GM-Peugeot alliance to stay within Europe, no scope for extension to India
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
The alliance between the American car maker, General Motors (GM) and the French brand, PSA Peugeot will be confined to the European markets and there is no scope for its extension to India. A senior official of GM confirmed the news, “There is no discussion with Peugeot (regarding an alliance in India).”
GM already has an operational manufacturing plant in Gujarat and Peugeot is also planning to set-up its own plant here. According to speculations, Peugeot was expected to use the existing plant of the American car maker instead of setting up their own. Earlier in 2012, during the month of February, GM had bought 7 per cent stake in Peugeot in a bid to share design platforms and source parts.
The Head of Asian operations for Peugeot, Gregoire Olivier, said, “We now have GM as a global partner, and GM has factories in India, so we're obviously reviewing our plans from the top.” This statement from the Asian head of the French car maker contradicted the hunches regarding the car maker's plans for India.
The speculations gained momentum due to Peugeot’s strategy of taking it easy with its upcoming facility at Sanand in Gujarat. During September, 2011, the French brand had announced that it will invest around Rs. 4,000 crore in the project to establish an integrated production unit, powertrain and gearbox plant to manufacture cars.
Gujarat government has allocated the company 600 acre of land, with a capacity of producing 1.65 lac units every year for starters and an additional provision for expansion in future. Peugeot has also inked a State Support Agreement (SSA) with the government in this context. The European car maker, Peugeot laid the foundation of its plant in November, 2011.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- CarTrade.com launches its fourteenth used car Franchisee Store in India
- Bajaj to bring six bikes by March 2014
- Major highlights of Mercedes-Benz A-Class
- Amer Beg first Indian to take part in Lamborghini Super Trofeo 2013 Season II
- Nissan Motor India sets a sales target of 1 lakh units for current fiscal
- Vin Diesel returns in Fast & Furious 6 with a bang
- Toyota preparing for the launch of new models in India
- Extreme Force Gurkha takes on the established Mahindra Thar
- Suzuki India planning for the launch of Suzuki Inzuma
- BMW 2 Series to sit below the 3 Series globally
- Mahindra pays KRW 80 billion to Ssangyong Motor on account of new shares
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class to set new benchmarks for luxury hatchbacks
- BMW India rolls out first MINI Countryman from its Chennai unit
- New Toyota Corolla to be unveiled on June 6
- Indian government gives green signal to quadricycles