General Motors declare the launch of Sail sedan and hatchback by the end of 2012
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
General Motors, the American auto marque, has officially announced that their new hatchback, Sail will be introduced in the Indian auto market sometime in between July and September 2012. Initially the small car was showcased at the Auto expo, which was scheduled in national capital at the beginning of this year. With its Sail hatchback, the company is planning to replace U-VA in the Indian market.
Reportedly, Sail will be the first of three cars scheduled to be launched in the country under the joint venture of GM-SAIC. The JV also proposes the launch of Sail sedan and an all-new SIAC Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV) in a couple of months.
The sedan and hatchback version of Sail will be offered in diesel powertrains and will be produced at the company’s Talegaon manufacturing facility, in the vicinity of Pune. The diesel technology developed by General Motors in India for its small cars will be also exported to other global auto markets. Both the models of Sail will hold around 70 to 80 per cent of localised components; however the car maker will import the petrol motor for some time. It is anticipated that the hatchback model of Sail will be assimilated with the same 1.2 litre petrol engine, which was introduced in Chevrolet Beat. Interestingly, the diesel model will hold a more powerful engine, ranging between 1200 and 1400 cc.
In the press conference organised on the launch ceremony of 2012 edition of Chevrolet Cruzein Delhi, Lowell C Paddock, President and Managing Director, General Motors India, quoted, “We will launch the Sail in both hatchback and sedan versions in the next few months. This will replace the Aveo U-VA hatchback and Aveo sedan.”
Besides, the new models which are on the cards of General Motors, a facelifted version of the Spark and MPV Enjoy will also mark their presence during the last few months of 2012.
It seems that GM is betting high on the Indian market, since it has already launched a couple of models this year. Apart from the upcoming launches, the car maker has already introduced a new version of its premium sedan Chevrolet Cruze with a re-worked engine and an all-new top-end variant of its premium SUV, Captiva. With its aggressive approach, the company is likely to increase volumes and is looking forward to grab a decent share in the Indian auto market.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- General Motors India hopeful of market revival by October this year
- Chevrolet Enjoy to help General Motors India in regaining lost ground
- Everything you want to know about Chevrolet Enjoy
- GM India expecting 1 lakh sales on the back of Chevrolet Enjoy and Sail
- Chevrolet Enjoy launched in India at a starting price of Rs. 5.49 lakh
- General Motors positive about the success of Chevrolet Enjoy in India
- Chevrolet Enjoy joins the league of compact UVs in India
- Chevrolet Enjoy has a 1.3L Diesel and a 1.4L Petrol unit
- Chevrolet Enjoy set for Indian launch, demo models reach dealerships
- Chevrolet Enjoy may outshine Maruti Ertiga in the Indian MPV segment
- Chevrolet Enjoy to see Indian daylight on May 9, 2013
- Chevrolet Enjoy set for its Indian launch in May 2013
- Chevrolet Enjoy to compete against Ertiga in the mini MPV segment
- 8,000 Chevrolet Sail sedan booked in less than 3 months
- Chevrolet Enjoy to be launched during May 2013 in India