Ford India to launch EcoSport in 2013, plans to bring 8 new models by 2015
Ford India Private Limited (FIPL), a subsidiary of American auto major Ford Motor Co., affirmed that it is going to unveil the much hyped Ford EcoSport compact Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) in domestic car market in 2013. The company has also confirmed that it is fully prepared for an 8 product strategy aimed at the Indian market, which are to be introduced by 2015. Further, it has been revealed that most of the upcoming eight Ford models are going to fall in the compact vehicle segments in the country.
Recently, Michael Boneham, Head of Ford India for the last five years, has stepped down and Joginder Singh has been appointed to fill in his shoes from December 1, 2012. Singh will become Ford India's new President and Managing Director (MD) of FIPL and commenting on the company's future prospects in India, said, “Though the leaders have changed, base plan has not changed. We announced that eight new products will be introduced around the middle of the decade. We are well on track (towards it).”
Reportedly, Ford's Indian subsidiary has had a mixed bag of fortunes, as on one hand its Fiesta models suffered a dubious and not so great fate, while its Figo hatch became a mass puller for the American auto major in the country. Commenting on the upcoming launches devised by FIPL, Singh said, “We are on track (for launching our products) and proof of that is the EcoSport which we expect it to be another gamechanger.”
Ford India's soon to be President and MD confirmed that the company has already approached Jayalalithaa, Chief Minister (CM), Tamil Nadu for gracing her presence at the launch of EcoSport next year. Reportedly, the Tamil Nadu CM has accepted the invite as well. Singh informed about the latest development and said, “We have invited Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for launching it and she has graciously accepted it.”
Reportedly, Ford India registered a small surge in its wholesale figures that stood at 10,948 units during October 2012, as against sales of 10,906 units in the corresponding month last year. The yet-to-be launched Ford EcoSport is expected to become a new volume puller for the American auto giant and will be pitched against the likes of Renault Duster and Mahindra Quanto, upon its launch in on Indian turf.
- Maruti Suzuki readying a sub-4 metre MUV to rival Datsun Go+
- New Honda Unicorn 160 likely to be offered at Rs. 63,695
- F1 Transporter truck creates a new record as it jumps over moving Lotus F1 car
- Hyundai Motor India reinforces 'customer first' approach with its first corporate campaign in India
- 2015 Fiat 500X claims the spotlight at the recently held LA Auto Show
- Toyota India dealer justifies failure for airbag deployment stating 'Driver didn't collide properly'
- 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 India launch soon
- Kawasaki is all set to launch Versys 1000 as the bikes reach showrooms