Exclusive: Images of Chevrolet Sail hatchback test mule spotted by CarTrade.com in South Delhi
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
American auto maker, Chevrolet seems set to launch its upcoming Sail U-VA hatchback, since the car happens to be one of the most extensively tested models in India presently. The model was unveiled by the company at 2012 Delhi Auto Expo, which was scheduled in January 2012. It has been a long time since the car was officially exhibited at the Delhi Auto Expo; however, its interiors remained a mystery. The model showcased at the mega event was the Chinese version of the hatchback and the interiors packed in it were not feasible for the Indian auto market, considering the fact that better interiors are on offer by competitors like Maruti Suzuki Swift and Nissan Micra, among others
Recently, a white-coloured test mule of the model was spotted at Saket, New Delhi. The car was camouflaged using black coloured patches all over the body with manufacturer’s logo and other details barred out from view. What little that can be gathered from the pictures is that the yet-to-be launched Sail U-VA hatchback will sport dual tone beige and grey interiors. From the interior images, it seems that the car will have power windows switches just next to the cup holders on central bay.
On the exteriors, the new Chevrolet U-VA looks just like an average plane Jane daily commuter. The tyres on rims are manufactured by Apollo atop, which are complemented by the 14-inch alloy wheels. On an overall approach, the car is not as appealing that can compete against the likes of Micra, Swift and Beat, though, if priced correctly, it may bring in decent sales volume for Chevrolet.
Considering the technical specifications, it is expected that the American car maker will offer the new model in an option of either 1.3 litre diesel or a 1.4 litre petrol engine, coupled with 5-speed transmission system. Slated for a launch in festive season this year, the model is believed to bear a price tag of around Rs. 4.5 lacs. Earlier, rumours were rife that the 1.2 litre petrol powertrain serving on the Beat will be retained in the new model, however there are no confirmations from the company’s stable on this statement. The decision to pack the 1.4 litre engine on the petrol variant comes as a shock, considering the fact that it will prevent the model from availing small car tax benefits.
The upcoming Sail U-VA petrol will be classified as the mid-sized hatchback, which will bear 24 per cent excise duty, almost double of what it should have if the company loaded 1.2 litre powertrain on it. On the other hand, its diesel variant will qualify for the small car segment as the 1.3 litre engine will be less than 1,500 cc.
At the same time, the Indian auto market has been shifting its inclination towards diesel models owing to the hike in the prices of petrol. Considering the fact that a 1.4 litre unit will be more of a gas guzzler than 1.2 litre engine, the new Sail U-VA may fail to garner initial response.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
Another piece of Chevrolet crap not to US spec. Sold my Cruze buying New Kia Ceed 2August 18, 2012 by Disbeliever
- General Motors India to hike prices by 1.5 per cent from first week of June
- General Motors India hopeful of market revival by October this year
- Chevrolet Enjoy to help General Motors India in regaining lost ground
- Everything you want to know about Chevrolet Enjoy
- GM India expecting 1 lakh sales on the back of Chevrolet Enjoy and Sail
- Chevrolet Enjoy launched in India at a starting price of Rs. 5.49 lakh
- General Motors positive about the success of Chevrolet Enjoy in India
- Chevrolet Enjoy joins the league of compact UVs in India
- Chevrolet Enjoy has a 1.3L Diesel and a 1.4L Petrol unit
- Chevrolet Enjoy set for Indian launch, demo models reach dealerships
- Chevrolet Enjoy may outshine Maruti Ertiga in the Indian MPV segment
- Chevrolet Enjoy to see Indian daylight on May 9, 2013
- Chevrolet Enjoy set for its Indian launch in May 2013
- Chevrolet Enjoy to compete against Ertiga in the mini MPV segment
- 8,000 Chevrolet Sail sedan booked in less than 3 months