Chevrolet Volt and Chevrolet Cruze, Audi E-tron and Audi A3
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Continuing our yesterday's coverage of the LA auto show, below are a number of other cars shown at the LA Auto Expo.
Chevrolet Volt and Cruze
General Motors is back with a bang! It is trying to capture the American market with its compact and alternative fuel cars. The General unveiled the 2011 Cruze (Note: US Version) equipped with 10 air bags, stability control and ABS as standard equipment.
Chevrolet Volt got a perfect platform at the LA Auto show to be launched in the American market. The model is expected to hit the showrooms by early 2010. It highlights interesting features such as its capability to go as much as 300 miles before requiring a refuel, a feature which has made it one the most awaited vehicle of the present times. The expected price of Chevrolet Volt is $40,000 although there is no confirmation from General Motors regarding the same. In its first year of production, GM has announced plans of manufacturing around 8,000 to 10,000 units of the Volt, slowly taking the manufacturing to 50,000 to 60,000 units a year.
Audi E-tron and Audi A3
Audi has every reason to rejoice at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Audi E-tron has been accepted well by the American audience. Audi has lesser interest in hybrid vehicles which has made it launch Audi E-tron which is its latest electric vehicle. It was first unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show earlier this year in September. The model has been confirmed to go into production by 2012.
“Electric power will also give Quattro more possibilities, such as powering the rear axle like in the A1 concept, or four wheels in motors like the e-tron. In fact, we want to launch a production e-tron in small volumes at the end of 2012,” said Rupert Stadler, Audi Chairman.
Audi e-Tron is powered by four electric motors delivering 313 bhp, 4500Nm of Torque and reaches 0-100 kmph in 4.2 seconds. the E-Tron twists more torque than the R8 and will do a healthy 0 to 60 in 4 seconds, rivaling another high performance electric vehicle called the Roadster.
Audi A3 was awarded the Green Car of the Year award at the LA Auto Show. It marks the second year in a row that a clean diesel vehicle has taken the top prize. The other finalists were the Honda Insight, Mercury Milan Hybrid, Toyota Prius and VW Golf TDI. "The Audi A3 TDI offers it all," says Ron Cogan, editor and publisher of the Green Car Journal. "This compact luxury car features an impressive EPA-estimated 42mpg on the highway – a 50 per cent fuel efficiency improvement over the standard, gasoline-engined A3. Plus, this Audi's quiet, clean diesel engine delivers loads of low-end torque and a fun-to-drive experience, all with the functionality of a five-passenger hatchback."
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Ford EcoSport bookings begin in June, safety features highlighted in media
- Honda Amaze to be officially launched in Nepal during June 2013
- Fiat eyes 5 per cent market share through dealership expansion and new launches
- Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India to spread riding awareness among women
- First time Indian buyers prefer premium hatchbacks and compact sedans
- 2014 Mercedes S-Class promises to be a new name in luxury
- Skoda Fabia to be removed from Indian market this year
- Auto sector should be out of India-EU FTA, as per Maruti
- Fiat organises free vehicle check-up camps in Mumbai, Pune and Surat
- Honda announces return to FIA Formula One World Championship in 2015
- Ford EcoSport bookings to start in June 2013
- Chilean auto market receives the Maruti Suzuki Alto 800
- Pre-season tests for the Volkswagen Polo R Cup 2013 held at BIC
- Mahindra Vibe to challenge Maruti Swift and Hyundai i20 in India
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class set to take on BMW's Mini Cooper in India