Camry given image makeover by Toyota, launch announced on August 24
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Toyota Motor Corporation, the Japanese multinational automaker, has announced the launch of a new avatar of Camry premium luxury sedan on August 24, 2012. The new model has been given a refreshing facelift by the Toyota's engineers and the car is expected to take on its foremost rivals Honda Accord and Skoda Superb.
The new Camry will feature an impressive 2.5 litre VVT-i petrol engine, delivering a highest power of 181 bhp with a peak torque of 233 Nm. In order to assist the performance of this engine, the company has mated it to a six speed automatic transmission system.
On the launch of a new model, Deputy Managing Director, Toyota Kirloskar Motor (Toyota's Indian subsidiary), Sandeep Singh, quoted, “We are going to launch Camry on the 24th of this month in New Delhi.” However, he refused to divulge any further details of the new model and revealed that the company will be importing the components of the all-new Camry as Completely Knocked Down kits (CKD). These kits will then be assembled at the company's manufacturing plant at Bidadi in Bangalore. Singh added, “We have enough space there to produce the car.”
The new Camry looks futuristic and has some well-crafted lines, which are completely different from the last generation Camry's curvaceous and soft looks. The new revamped looks delivers the car an edgy outlook complementing its sporty attributes. Designed using five slat chrome grill, the exteriors of car catches instant attention and its sharp headlamps makes the new Camry appear ominous for its adversaries.
Apart from the modern looks, the electronics and comfort features incorporated within the new Camry will be also impressive. The cruise control feature and an advanced trip computer, which records all the data regarding trip distance and mileage, provide technical merits to the car over its competitors.
Also worth mentioning are the much thoughtful additions like the Eco Mode and Eco Meter, which regularly informs the driver about whether the driving is economical or not by glowing green LEDs. Besides audio and phone controls, the upcoming model from Toyota will also boast of steering mounted controls to facilitate a safer driving. The leg room is huge and seats are comfortable, bearing top draw quality. Considering the comfort features packed within the upcoming model, the installed reclining controls will enable the car stand out in the league of competition.
It is really worthwhile to note that Toyota is launching its new Camry in only petrol guise. However, it would be exciting to see how it squares off against the likes of Honda Accord, Nissan Teana and Skoda Superb, which are available in both petrol and diesel fuelled models. With the yet-to-be-launched offering, Toyota is looking ahead to expand its brand presence in the Indian auto industry and how the new Camry is received by the Indian buyers, only time will tell.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Toyota preparing for the launch of new models in India
- New Toyota Corolla to be unveiled on June 6
- Toyota initiates Summer Campaign for quality checks
- Toyota Kirloskar reports 37.36 per cent sales decline in April 2013
- Upcoming hot hatches from Fiat, Volkswagen and Toyota for India
- Toyota remains world's top selling auto maker despite dropping sales in China
- Toyota, Nissan and Honda struggling to sell vehicles in China
- Toyota may consider introducing more hybrids in India
- Toyota Kirloskar partners with Mahindra Financial Services to offer easy vehicle finance
- Toyota Corolla made during Jan-June 2003 in India recalled
- Toyota launches refreshed Etios sedan and Liva hatchback in India
- Toyota starts delivering reworked Etios series to dealers
- How about a Mini Toyota Innova for India
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor considering a 1.5 litre Etios Liva model for India
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor witness 23 per cent sales drop in January 2013