BMW all set to launch X2 in India by 2014 to square off against Audi Q2
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
Once again German luxury auto makers BMW and Audi are playing bullish in the Indian auto market. Audi is betting high in the Indian market and, thus, has lined-up a series of new launches for the same. The brand with the four rings recently launched its Q3 and is now thinking about introducing its new Q2 Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) sometime in 2014.
In order to strike a blow to the strengthening position of Audi in India, the largest luxury car maker of world, BMW has also pulled up its socks to square off against its tough rival. Reportedly, BMW is working on the development of its entry-level X2, a SUV which is anticipated to launch in 2014 too.
BMW X2 is one of the new launches lined-up by the auto maker in recent times. The car is considered as sloping-roofline-edition of the well-acclaimed BMW X1. An artist's rendition of the production model of X2 by Roger Lighterness exhibits that the conventional designing philosophy of BMW will be reflected once again in the upcoming model. The design language used while structuring X2 is obviously inspired from the ‘X’ range of BMW. It is expected that the upcoming BMW model will boast of sporty features and body styling similar to a coupe.
Reportedly, in terms of looks, BMW X2 will be an amalgamation of the ‘Z’ and ‘X’ series design themes. The German car is likely to be based on the same platform of original X Coupe concept, introduced in 2001. However, no official declarations regarding the production of X2 have been made by the company, since the German auto maker is currently concentrating on the development of X4, a gigantic model in the X series.
On the other hand, Audi earlier mentioned that it will outpace BMW by 2014 and will emerge as the largest luxury car maker of the world. In this regard, the company is required to launch some enthralling models in the country in a competitive pricing range, which could help lure buyers. With the overwhelming response gathered by Audi Q3, the company is aiming to replicate the same story again.
Head of Audi India, Michael Perschke, quoted that, “India is a marathon where you have to have a lot of stamina to run the race. We have a clear product plan till 2019, which takes into account most of our competition.” As per company officials, Audi Q2 will be assembled in India which will help it to offer the new model with a competitive pricing, even below the Audi Q3. The latter has done very well in the Indian market and, thus, the company also has high expectations from yet to be launched Audi Q2 to fetch volumes.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class set to take on BMW's Mini Cooper in India
- Volvo V40 to take on BMW X1, Promises to be 'Value for Money' rather than 'Money for Value'
- BMW India brings a mobile showroom to Kerala, has big expansion plans
- 2014 Mercedes-Benz E-Class boasts of looks to take on BMW 5 series
- Dr. Schlipf is the new MD & CEO of BMW Financial Services India
- Audi replaces BMW as India’s top luxury car seller
- BMW 1 Series set for Indian launch, along with Mercedes-Benz A-Class
- New BMW 7 Series launched in India at Rs. 92.9 lakh
- BMW India to launch its 7 Series facelift today
- Audi attempting to chase BMW in global market, launching RS range of vehicles
- BMW’s subsidiary Mini starts local assembly in India
- BMW 7 Series facelift to be launched in India on April 25
- BMW Motorrad joins hands with TVS for strengthening its Indian presence
- BMW reveals first impressions of the X4 Concept
- Riteish Deshmukh fined Rs. 100 for dark tinted glasses on his BMW