Best sedans in sub-Rs. 8 lacs category in Indian auto market
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
In India, buying a diesel sedan seems to be more feasible option than going for a petrol vehicle in the wake of the fact that the former are now being spared from the proposed hike in excise duty. The customers in a price sensitive market like India are more likely to opt for sedans in Rs. 5 to 8 lacs range. Top five cars in this range include Ford Fiesta Classic, Toyota Etios Diesel, Tata indigo Manza, Mahindra Verito and Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire.
Heading the league, Ford Fiesta Classic is a good option in these parameters. Even though the car was launched quite a while ago, its bold yet sober styling and brilliant drivability has ensured that it never become dated. Available for Rs. 7.91 lacs, this sedan houses a powerful 1,399 cc 4-cylinder diesel powertrain. The engine of this car is designed to generate 66.05 hp of maximum power and deliver a mileage of 13.9 kmpl in urban driving conditions, whereas 18.3 kmpl on highways. It is capable to clock 60 kmph from standstill in just 6.4 seconds and has a top speed of 160 kmph.
Price at Rs. 7.80 lacs, Toyota Etios Diesel is another worthy contender in this segment, which is one of the latest and best in lot. Toyota has worked extensively to offer more cabin space and massive cargo space in the car, which gives it an industry-leading position in this segment. A 1,364 cc, 4-cylinder unit powers the Etios Diesel, which has a power output of 67.04 hp and offers a decent mileage of 14.2 kmpl in city, while on highway it reaches 19 kmpl. The car can reach 0-60 kmph in mere 5.92 seconds and has a peak speed of 163 kmph.
Another car with capacious cargo and cabin space in this segment is Tata Indigo Manza. Tata offers this car with a tag of Rs. 7.57 lacs (ex-showroom, Delhi). Owing to its 4-cylinder 1,248 cc engine, the car generates 87.8 hp of peak power. The fuel efficiency offered by Manza stands around 11.6 kmpl in city and 17.1 kmpl on highways. Manza clocks a top speed of 168 kmph and is capable of sprinting to 60 kmph from zero in 5.83 seconds.
After the split between Mahindra & Mahindra and Renault, the former retained all rights of their maiden and only launch, Mahindra-Renault Logan to re-launch it as Mahindra Verito. The car has the same powertrain as that of Logan, which boasts of a 1,461 cc 4-cylinder powertrain, which is built to churn out 64.1 hp of power. In city driving conditions, the engine offers a decent mileage of 13.6 kmpl and 19.3 kmpl on highways. Verito is capable of touching 60 kmph from standing position in just 6.07 seconds, which further goes up to 144 kmph.
And last but not the least, the cheapest offering in this list is Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire. Tagged with a price of Rs. 7.09 lacs, the sedan offers best-in-class utility to customers along with reliability, considering Maruti Suzuki's extensive after-sales network. DZire is powered by a 1,248 cc 4-cylinder engine, which enables the car to smoothly glide from 0-60 kmph within a span of 5.6 seconds, which is followed to a top speed of 156 kmph. In addition to decent outputs, DZire runs around 13.5 kmpl in city and 18.9 kmpl on highways.
In the light of abovementioned cars, buyers can easily categorise which model suits them best in daily proceedings of life.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Auto sector should be out of India-EU FTA, as per Maruti
- Chilean auto market receives the Maruti Suzuki Alto 800
- Maruti Suzuki to roll out a new diesel LCV in India
- Maruti Suzuki to breathe new life into its Indian fleet with a new models
- Maruti Suzuki to introduce YL1 hatch and YL7 sedan in India
- Indian Army to make a switch to Mahindra Scorpio or Tata Safari from Maruti Gypsy
- Hyundai BA could challenge Maruti Suzuki Swift soon in India
- Maruti Suzuki to replace low selling cars with new ones soon
- Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Feliz special edition to launch soon
- Suzuki introduces Ertiga with automatic gearbox in Indonesia
- Maruti Suzuki reports a 3.1 per cent drop in sales for April 2013
- Swift DZire diesel records a mileage of 45.8 kmpl at DZirable Mileage Rally
- Work on Maruti Suzukiís new Gujarat facility on schedule
- Maruti Suzuki to focus on rural market to increase sales volume
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Sport caught testing in Mumbai