2012 Volkswagen Polo R Cup to kick-off from 8th July
Subscribe to NewsletterPlease fill your name and email ID to get our daily auto news mailer.
The inaugural round of Polo R cup which is to be flagged off from 8th July 2012 will witness the TSI powered Race variant of Polo racing for the first time. In the opening round, 20 drivers will tread the tracks at Kari Motor Speedaway located in Coimbatore. The qualifying sessions at this track is quite crucial since it does not offer any scope for overtaking. This means to be in the lead and qualifying at same position has utmost importance.
The 2012 Polo R Cup edition has come up with a major change, a switch from diesel powered cars to petrol race specific cars. After racing with diesel cars in the last two seasons, rivals will now get to compete in Volkswagen Polo, powered by a 1.4 litre TSI, turbocharged petrol engine. This unit comes aligned with a 6 speed DSG dual-clutch gearbox. The petrol unit incorporated this time has replaced the earlier configuration of 1.6 litre diesel powertrain, mated to 6 speed manual transmission system. With a new engine, the power output is raised from 128.2 hp to 167.6 hp. In order to handle the extra power in better manner, the petrol Polo comes with a traction control and limited slip differential. The new model also features larger disc-brakes in front with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), allowing the drivers to efficiently brake at the corners.
According to Head, Volkswagen Motorsport India, Prithviraj Siddappa, the last two seasons have been very significant for Volkswagen Motorsport. It helped the company to be an ideal platform for those youngsters who were willing to go for motorsports as their career. In 2012, Volkswagen Motorsports has raised its standards higher with introduction of TSI powertrain in the new car which is at par with other racing cars used in international circuits. This will prepare them in advanced for the type of grit that the young drivers will be facing in international circuits.
In pre-season test drive held at Buddh International Circuit, the competitors of 2012 edition demonstrated decent performance. It will be quite spectacular to witness youngsters behind the wheel of charged-up variant of the Race Polo at the racing circuit.
Comments on this article
Post a comment on this article
- Pre-season tests for the Volkswagen Polo R Cup 2013 held at BIC
- Volkswagen Polo using motor sports to connect with Indian customers
- Volkswagen to develop 10-speed DSG and new engines for lower emissions
- Volkswagen Polo 1.2 GT TSI launched in India at Rs. 7.99 lakh
- Comparing the new Volkswagen Polo 1.2 GT TSI with Hyundai i20
- Volkswagen Passat to use Apollo Tyres for all variants
- Upcoming hot hatches from Fiat, Volkswagen and Toyota for India
- Volkswagen India to launch Polo GT power hatch on April 29, 2013
- Volkswagen Taigun Compact SUV could be available in India by 2016
- Mohite Automotive opens new Volkswagen dealership in North Goa
- Volkswagen India aims to increase its market share up to 7 per cent
- Volkswagen Polo GT to scorch Indian roads from April 25
- New Volkswagen Vento arrives in ‘Style’, petrol model at Rs. 8.33 lakh
- Volkswagen’s 'Think Blue. Factory’ campaign optimises CO2 emission and energy consumption at its Pune facility
- Volkswagen Polo to get the TSI engine, Indian launch expected soon